As a personal trainer I realise how daunting it can be for a gym newbie. Here are my top tips for how to get the most out of your membership.
- Book an induction. You wouldn’t walk into a factory and start messing about with the equipment without any training right? Be open to learning new things.
- Don’t be afraid to ask. If you don’t know how to use a piece of equipment or are unsure about an exercise, ask a member of gym staff.
- Try not to be intimidated. The gym can be a daunting place when you first walk in, but remember, it’s your space as much as anyone else’s. Fitness is for everyone.
- Set yourself a goal and plan your workouts accordingly. Having something specific to focus on will help keep you motivated.
- Try classes. Try every class they have and see what works for you. Even if you don’t take them regularly, you might learn new exercises you can do by yourself.
- Get yourself a training buddy. Working out with a friend can do wonders for your motivation. Just make sure you don’t waste too much time chatting!
- Hire a personal trainer. Well I would say that wouldn’t I?! Get yourself some expert advice for when you first start out. Nab a good PT and you won’t regret it.